INCOMPLETE METAMORPHOSIS IN COCKROACH.
THE LIFE HISTORY OF A COCKROACH | MODE OF LIFE OF COCKROACH, SOME IMPORTANCE THINGS YOU MAY NEED TO KNOW ABOUT COCKROACH.
Cockroach nocturnal active insect.
At night, they run about with their raised antennae which are frequently waved in the air to feel and smell the environment.
When suddenly frightened, they can carry out short aerial flight to escape from their possible enemy.
They are dorsoventrally flattened hence they can hide in crevices, making them difficult to catch.
In the day time, they hide holes, drawers, cupboards, cracks, boxes, bookshelves and dark places. Cockroaches are omnivorous scavengers, feeding on a wide range of foods items, such as bread, sugar, biscuit, death insect, books, paper, and clothing.
When caught, they quickly release an offensive chemical odor to prevent predators from catching them.
THE LIFE HISTORY OF A COCKROACH | MODE OF LIFE OF COCKROACH.
The Cockroach Is an example of an insect with an Incomplete Metamorphosis.
Male and Female Cockroach mate. The male introduces sperms into the genital opening of the female.
The sperm are then stored in a sperm pouch until the egg is released from the two ovaries. As they are released, they are fertilized by the stored sperm.
Fertilization is therefore internal. the fertilized are arranged in a group of 16 inside purse like leathery, hard and brown egg cases or oothecae.
The leathery, hard and brown egg cases or oothecae prevents water loss and give protection to the egg.
The brown color blends with the environment thus offering protective camouflage. The ridged surface of the egg case is for firms attachments to the substratum.
The 16 fertilized eggs are arranged in two rows of 8.
The female cockroach carries the eggs cases about, for sometimes in her abdominal POUCH of the seventh segment before depositing them in a suitable dark place.
The egg cases now cemented against the place they are Deposited.
After about 30 to 90 days, the eggs hatch to NYMPHS, which resembles the adults in all aspects, except they are very small, wingless, colorless and their reproductive organs are not developed.
The Nymphs feed, grow and become dark brown in color and molt.
Molting occurs about six or seven times before adult size attained.
In the later molts, wings buds, appears and in the last molting, the wings appear full size
It can take about 40 to 60 weeks for the Nymphs to reached adult size.
ECONOMIC IMPORTANCE OF COCKROACHES
- Cockroaches are household pests, destroying books, clothes, foods, and other useful materials.
- Since they eat indiscriminately, they have been known to contaminate with diseases such as Cholera, dysentery, and tuberculosis.
- They deface materials such as clothes with their feces.
- Their repulsive odor and dirty habits make them a nuisance.
CONTROL COCKROACHES | HOW TO CONTROL COCKROACHES
- Commercial insecticides, when sprayed into their hiding places, helps to kill them.
- Kill them physically when seeing them.
- Sing they are developed in dirty places, then good house cleaning practiced are important in reducing their population.
We hope the article was helpful and you have learned from it. If you have any questions to ask, then drop it inside the comment box below.
- [PROJECT]: ABOUT WATER LEVEL CONTROL ( COMPLETE TOPIC)
- BENEDETTE BASSEY ETIM BIOGRAPHY AND NET-WORTH
- Starzz Reality Show 2020: Housemates | Live Stream | Channels | Prizes | Venue
- Mes B Biography, Aged, State Of Origin, Music Career, Record Label
POST SOURCE: BBNAIJA SHOW